Sticky Christmas Cake
This Christmas Cake is packed with fruit, full of festive spices and covered in a luscious butter cream icing. Topped with our favourite dried fruits and nuts, this cake is sure to leave an impression on your guests this Christmas!
1 cup golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
1½ tsp baking soda
3/4 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
3 tsp mixed spice
pinch of sea salt
1 cup Tasti Walnut Pieces
410g can peach slices, drained
1 cup Tasti Dried Figs, chopped
1 cup Tasti Glacé cherries (green)
2 cups Tasti Fruit Mix
1 cup Tasti Mixed peel
½ cup brandy
BUTTER CREAM ICING
150g Butter (softened)
2 cups Icing Sugar
2-3 Tbsp hot water
A few extra Tasti Dried Figs and Walnut Halves
*Optional cinnamon quills, pomegranate seeds and rosemary
1. Put all dried fruit and peel into a large bowl with brandy. Mix well, cover and leave for at least 30 minutes, longer if you have time.
2. Heat oven to 170C. Butter and line a 25cm round deep cake tin, with enough baking paper to come about 2.5cm above the top of the tin.
3. Melt golden syrup, butter, vanilla and sugar over a low heat until just warmed through.
4. Set aside to cool slightly. Mix the baking soda and water and stir until dissolved. Pour into the butter, golden syrup mix and whisk together.
5. Add the flour, mixed spice and salt and whisk until smooth. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth and shiny. Add in the walnut pieces, peaches and soaked dried fruit and mix until well combined and then pour into the prepared tin.
6. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, then insert a skewer into the centre, if it comes out almost clean the cake is cooked, if not bake for 10–15 minutes and test again.
7. Stand for 10 minutes, then turn out. Once cake has cooled completely, ice with butter cream icing and decorate as desired.