Coffee, Walnut & Almond Cake
A luxuriously moist chocolate cake made with ground walnuts and almond meal, smoothered in a rich dark chocolate & coffee glaze. The perfect flourless cake for a delicious dessert.
110g Tasti Walnut pieces
140g Tasti Ground almonds
1 Tbsp Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Cocoa powder
180g Caster sugar
Glaze and Garnish
25g Dark chocolate
2 Tbsp Butter, preferably unsalted
1 Tbsp Coffee, strong and hot
12 Tasti Walnut halves
1. Heat the oven to 175C. Grease and line a 22cm spring-form cake tin.
2. Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until they are reduced to fine granules. Mix with the ground almonds, breadcrumbs, cinnamon and cocoa.
3. Separate the eggs, putting the yolks and whites into separate large bowls.
4. Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk until light and fluffy. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
5. Stir the nut mix into the yolk mixture then add a quarter of the whisked egg whites to lighten the mixture. Fold in the remaining egg white until well mixed, yet retaining as much air as possible.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until the middle of the cake is firm when pressed. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for a few minutes before turning out.
7. To make the glaze, break the chocolate up into small pieces and put it in a small bowl with the butter and coffee. Put the bowl over hot, but not boiling, water until the chocolate has almost melted. Remove the bowl from the water and stir to form a smooth glaze. Leave to cool until it is slightly thickened, then spread thinly over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with a ring of walnut halves pressed into the glaze.